Thursday, June 4, 2009

Name Game

We've got some of the most friendly neighbors in the city. In total I think we've met 12 of the people living in the homes around us. The number of names that between the two of us we can remember? Four. (One of which is a three year old named Parker).

Last night two of said friendly neighbors came by. They brought a plate of chocolate chip cookies that I would rate as in the top three all time best chocolate chip cookies that I've had in my chocolate chip cookie eating experience.

I had an inkling of these peoples names. Karen, or Carrie....and Mark or Mike. "Hmm..." I think to myself as they prattle about the history of the neighborhood.... "what are their names..."

And then, CAROL! At one point He-Neighbor says She-Neighbor's name. It's Carol. Hallelujah, we have a name! I'm so busy having a mini-celebration in my head (think confetti, sparklers and balloons) that I totally miss it when She-Neighbor (who I now know is Carol) says He-Neighbors name as she tells a story about how he spent some time in Mexico (studying the language) and one of the other neighbors (don't ask me his name) thought that they had split the sheets.

"Shoot! That damn mini-celebration in my head with confetti, sparklers and balloons is distracting me from gleaning the information that is going to keep me from looking like an ass..."

At least I know one of their names....

...and we have delicious cookies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Left a paper on the fridge with neighbors names written on it for a least a year after we moved in ...every time I heard one of their names I would rush inside and get it on the list(my dad even wrote down a name after one of my neighbors introduced themselves to him). Sadly, I still have NO IDEA what the names of two of the wives are and we've been here almost 2 years. And they say "hi Katie" everyday I see them and even give us yummy pies and christmas gifts but NEVER sign their first names to the cards. UGH! - Katie