Padre Armstrong out in The Shire (long story, my family was really into LOTR) has long battled with underground rodents, gophers in particular. Well, it seems the next generation of Armstrong horticulturists may be following suite. I've done a medium amount of work in our new (and very much in need of work) yard and what to my wondering eyes should appear? Little piles of fresh dirt pushed to the surface from an underground labyrinth of tunnels.What did I do to remedy my garden pest problem? I do what I do and I turned to the internet. Getridofthings.com has a post about getting rid of voles, (not exactly sure what that is...but sounds and looks similar.) The web recommended various methods for extermination, the most appealing being 1. making our yard a less appealing home by removing their food source--fruit, nuts, etc. or, 2. poision or trapping. I'm thinking poisioning is going to be my best option. I know, I know, poision? It's a self-cenered decision. I am going to first try to make the yard less appetizing, but to be honest there isn't a lot that I think would be appetizing to our underground friends. There aren't any nut trees, fruit trees or evergreen trees in our yard and according to getridofit.com that's what these little buggers like...so, poision would get rid of 'em in a way that I won't have to see them snarred or squashed in a trap. I have delicate sensibilities, and I don't think I could handle a bloodied up rodent. Poison would render them lethargic and dead, but neat and tidy in thier little rodent homes. Right?
2 comments:
Due to the dogs sharing the yard, my dad used to stick the hose down one of the holes and try to drown or flush them out. Surprisingly, this worked quite well...although I have no idea how. Might be another option to consider. - Katie
I'll have to try that. I sprayed a bunch of water into the holes out of spite when I found them...but I'm not thinking it worked.
Post a Comment