Sunday, February 22, 2009

Lactose intolerant?


I've had a hit and miss relationship with one of the most beloved food groups: dairy. As kid my brother and I could polish off a gallon of milk a day, and we did. To trim the budget I stopped buying milk in college (though I couldn't quite sever ties with cheese and yogurt).

Today's status? Too much cheese has continued to bother me, as has too much ice cream. I had vanilla ice cream both Friday and Saturday night, both times with undesirable results.

Based on my reactions to ice cream and cheese I would assume that I do indeed have a lactose intolerance, but here comes the curve ball. I get no reaction from yogurt (I love the Mountain High Low-Fat Vanilla yogurt), and while I don't drink a lot of milk anymore I do have it on oatmeal-- 5/7 days a week.

Summary: no reaction from low-fat milk or yogurt; definite reaction from ice cream and cheese.

Do I have a reaction to lactose or to dairy fat? That is the question. Can you have an intolerance to dairy fat? I've got an appointment with the doc in a couple weeks, and hopefully we'll get some answers to that very important question.

No comments: