Saturday, February 14, 2009

It's one day in 365.


I am, self-admittedly, not a romantic person. I like going to chick-flicks and romantic comedies just as much as the average woman, and while I think the ooey-gooey uber romantic gestures and scenes in these films are adorable it is only because they are within the context of a film. If I was ever serenaded like that stadium scene in "10 Things I Hate About You," I would have likely been deeply embarrassed about such a deliberate scene. Deliberate and cliche displays of affection (especially when taken incredibly serious) kind of make me gag. Despite this personal cynicism for finely tuned and over the top displays of unabashed and unbridled affection, I manage to keep my opinion (except for this blog posting) to myself most of the time. So, to all of the single people out there, to the people who dub Valentines Day as "Black Saturday" or "Black Tuesday" (or whatever day of the week V Day happens to fall upon), I would like to kindly tell you to keep your opinions to yourself. Yes, if you don't have something nice to say about someone else's relationship/gift/V Day plans with their significant other then just don't say anything. Ok, maybe it isn't your fault that you are single, but it sure as hell isn't mine, and it isn't the fault of every happy couple you glare at as you see them seated next to each other in a booth seat at Papa Haydens, or strolling hand in hand down the streets of NW. They are happy, just let them be.


Stop being so bitter about being single. Take up knitting. Or lacrosse. Please take a language class. Please invest more time at our job, or less time if that is what you need. Get a new job. Reconnect with high school friends or hire a therapist.


Being in a relationship is not the device by which we are measured, understanding this concept is my Valentines Day wish for you. Poo-pooing on someone else's happiness isn't going to make you any happier, at least it shouldn't.

2 comments:

Kacy said...

go morgan! thats a side of you ive never seen before!! and why am i commenting on your blog at 926 on valenrines day evening?? because once you have kids, cliche romanticism isnt possible anymore. the hubs is rocking the babe, and im playing online. how romantic. :)

morganrenee said...

Yes, it's a little blunt. Had to rant.