Sunday, July 26, 2009

Rosamery Scones

Food Rule #4: Whenever possible, add herbs.

I woke up (at 5:30am) this morning with a hankering for scones. Of the many gifts FH and I have been given this summer we've been lucky to get a few cookbooks. Including The Cast Iron Skillet Cookbook (to go with the cast iron skillet), Salad Dressings, and The Bride and Groom First and Forever Cookbook, and Martha Stewart's Cupcakes (which I you can read more about here) we were also given Let's Get Together: Simple Recipes for Gatherings with Friends. It was in Let's Get Together that I found a recipe for scones.

Flour, salt, baking powder, sugar, butter, dried currants and milk. Well, I'm fresh outta dried currants (and I don't like them) so I left those out. In the spirit of experimentation I decided to add rosemary. Not wanting to botch a whole batch of scone dough (say that three times fast...) I separated the dough and only added rosemary to half.

Results? Delicious. I had a plain scone with the last of last summers raspberry jam and a rosemary one with grilled red peppers and sauteed Walla Walla sweets that were left over from dinner a few nights ago.

Moral of the story? Always add fresh herbs, even if it's going to be 103 degrees that day so you really shouldn't be baking, especially with your geriatric oven that makes the whole kitchen 15 degrees warmer and a broken ventilation fan that is still broken because someone has not taken the time to go to Home Depot to buy and install a new one.






Recipe:

2 2/3 cups all purpose flower
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 unsalted butter
(1/2 cup currants; but you can also use raisins or dried cranberries, or nothing! If adding rosemary I would add 3-4 tablespoons)
2/3 cup milk

Preheat oven to 425.

Combine dry ingredients. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add currants, (or raisins or herbs or whatever your mix-in ingredient is).

Add milk and mix well with a fork. Knead dough 10 times. Roll into a 1-inch-thick circle and cut into eight wedges. Separate wedges and bake on an ungreased baking sheet for 12 minuets.


No comments: