Monday, July 19, 2010

Thoughts on Maggots

Our compost bin is totally teeming with maggots. Is this normal? From day one there has been a fan club of flys buzzing around, but the maggots are new.

Did we compost something that's not supposed to be composted? Or, and this is really quite ghastly, did we eat something that had maggot larvae in it and they hatched and are now thriving in our compost bin?



(If you're planning to answer an affirmative to that last question please don't. We're still both alive and have not yet exhibited symptoms of ingesting unborn maggots, and as it stands already I may not eat for a couple days just after seeing aforementioned maggots--if it's possible that I ingested something that would one day grow into a maggot I may never be able to eat again.)

Excuse me while I go wash my hands for the 962 time in the last 45 minuets.

1 comment:

patty said...

icky... maggots come from meat. You shouldn't put any meat scraps in your compost bin... just vegitables, breads, fruit, tea bags...