Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Grandma's Sourdough Bread

I am a bread lover. LOVER. I asked my Grandmother for her sourdough bread recipe ages ago, and have finally tried my hand at the nearly 60 year old recipe.

First you make the starter-- bread flour, yeast, sugar, warm water and salt--and it sits and grows (yes, grows) for three days, preferably in a location without a draft (as per the instructions of the recipe). I knew the starter would grow, but didn't anticipate how much and how quickly it would increase in volume.



This is a picture of the starter, which began at about 1.5 cups of goo.
I thought it would reside safely in this quart jar but less than two hours later it was erupting. (The lid wasn't on that tight, so that's how it is leaking out the top.)



The rest of the story goes a little something like this:


The starter, once in an appropriately sized container grows and bubbles. It gets stirred twice a day. By day three it sort of stinks...

Then you add flour, more yeast, more sugar, more salt, more water, and powdered milk. (My first time using powdered milk--but remember this is a recipe from the 40's.)


Knead, knead, knead. More rising. Then cut the blob in half, bake at 350 and...





Ta-Da!!


2 comments:

MissMVK said...

That looks SO GOOD. Would you share the recipe? The starter kind of freaks me out, but the end result is worth it, right?

morganrenee said...

Hey MVK--it's actually a family recipe. Otherwise, I am a big fan of swapping recipes! The end result was worth it, but it was a LOT of work (and kinda stinky).