Wednesday, November 23, 2011

When Life Gives You Turkey

One of the families at work have a meat CSA and they raised turkeys this fall that were avaialble for Thanksgiving. About 4 weeks ago I casually mentioned to the daughter that I might be interested in a turkey.

Fast forward to Monday of this week. I get a call from the front office. They've got my turkey. It's here. At work. Frozen solid. Happy Thanksgiving!

Wha....? Did I mention it's 22 pounds? Oh, yea, it's 22 pounds!

We're going to two Thanksgiving celebrations. To the first I'm bringing a stuffed and roasted pumpkin, to the other I'm bringing biscuits, rolls and cranberry sauce. Not turkey.

While I wasn't in search of a turkey, and while I've never cooked one before, I'm pretty psyched.

I've done my research, (complete with a Twitter response from Mario Batali) I have the ingredients for a brine (water, salt, cyder, maple syrup, sage, thyme) and the turkey, all 22 pounds, is thawing nicely in the fridge.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

we will gladly take some of that turkey off your hands! See you soon! - Katie

patty said...

Save me a taste! Or better yet, you mentioned cooking it on Sunday... I'm not busy. :-)