The adventure continues. Our turkey has now thawed, brined and is currently roasting. I used a brine recipe from The Chew that seemed pretty straight forward. One cup of salt for each gallon of boiling water--the amount of water you need will vary by the size of your container, rather than the size of your bird. I used a cooler, so had a lot of brine in order to cover the majority of the bird. About a quart of apple cider, a cup of maple syrup, dried thyme, fresh sage and rosemary. I used about 2.5 tablespoons of thyme, three 6 inch sprigs of rosemary and about 4 bunches of sage. I boiled about a gallon of water, poured in the salt, herbs and syrup, then poured the hot mixture into the cooler, then the cider and a gallon of ice and water. Other than the herbs, I doubled this recipe so our turkey was almost completely covered.
Into the brine!
Seventeen hours later!
And here it is out of the brine, stuffed with a
sliced apple, onion and three pieces of celery,
topped with a cheese cloth soaked in butter
and meat thermometer in the thigh!
It's in the oven...fingers crossed!




No comments:
Post a Comment