Saturday, February 13, 2010

Mission: Sustainable

I made a spontaneous trip to Seattle on Thursday for the standing-room-only premier of Mission: Sustainable, a TV show that my friend and college roommate, Jessica, has been contributing to for the past few months. The premise is a combination between the TV shows What Not to Wear and Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. A household and family is made over to be more sustainable and energy-efficient. You can read more about it here. I absolutely loved the segments relating to food and how what you eat and where that food comes from has a  grave impact on the sustainability of our planet and the environment we are accustomed to.

The outstanding points not to be missed are these: this idea was hatched in January 2009, and it was executed--start to finish--on a budget of about $900--so essentially the whole project was funded by contributions from supporters and from business sponsorships. That journey is pretty remarkable and insightful, as I think the ability for this project to even get off the ground has a direct correlation to the number of people and businesses that understand the great benefit of reducing the negative impact that current living-styles have on the planet.

I believe the pilot will be avaialble for viewing on the website in the coming weeks.They're looking to have it picked up by a network or cable station, so, Internet, if you know someone who can pull strings, please send them the M:S link.

I took a few pictures--my apologies for the spotty night-vision. You get the idea...

Get the flash player here: http://www.adobe.com/flashplayer

No comments: