Thursday, August 20, 2009

Matching Socks

Today I was folding laundry and something happened that has never happened in the history of us living at Casa de Newlyweds. When I do laundry there are usually a few loads piled up, so they go in the washer, then in the dryer and then into a pile on the couch in our basement until all of said laundry is washed and dried and ready to be folded. I realize that transferring the clothes directly from the dryer to the couch inflects unnecessary wrinkling, so before you get all up in my grill let me say this: I can't be bothered. I don't care if the laundry sits there for a few hours (or days--hey, the basement is far away, sometimes I forget it's even there) and gets wrinkled. Anything I would care about being un-wrinkly I'd have to iron anyway--deeply set in wrinkles just makes ironing more of a challenge. And Danger is my middle name.

So, I did three loads of laundry today (
and I feel moderately confident in stating that 75% of this laundry was Keegans--which is fine, me doing the laundry is just safer, both for us and our clothes, and, after all, he does most of the driving-- but how in the H-E-double-hockey-sticks does he go through that much clothing? Is he getting up in the middle of the night and changing his clothes like 9 times? I swear it was like one weeks worth of laundry and there were like 16 pairs of boxer shorts in those three loads.... ). So I'm down in the basement after the dryer starts wailing at the end of the third load and I start folding. Shirts, shorts, pants, underwear, yadda, yadda, yadda. Socks go into a pile to be matched at the end. So I'm folding, folding, folding. I get to the end. I start folding socks and what have we here?! EVERY SINGLE SOCK IN THE BASKET HAD A MATE. And not like a half-assed mate where I'm folding Keegan's Gold Toe socks together with a Nike sock, but all the socks had a mate that was it's mirror image! Same style and color and everything. Keegan's socks are rarely folded with an exact mate, so I am SURE that several of those pairs weren't even matching when they came out of his drawer and went onto his feet. This was a housekeeping milestone of giant proportion. You'd think adults were living here or something.





2 comments:

Team Swinehart said...

I wonder the same thing about Ben. Where do ALL of his clothes come from. It's CRAZY and must be a BOY thing.

Congrats on the socks. I've yet to do that. :-)

Courtney W. said...

I came up with an in-the-mean-time solution to sock sorting. I have a drawer for matched socks, and an adjacent drawer for lonely, mate-less socks. Every time I do laundry, I whip out the old mateless socks and try to pair 'em up. Yesterday I managed to pair up every one. Not a lonely sock in the house, anymore! (Well, MY socks, anyway.)